If you would like to download a copy of this checklist please click here
- Newspaper delivery
- Milk delivery
- Obtain a supply of boxes from places like the supermarket
- Obtain packaging tape and heavy marker pens
- Arrange for a furniture removal van
- Arrange transit insurance
- Arrange for care of your children on moving
- Make suitable arrangements for any pets
- Arrange contents and fire insurance for your new home. Talk to your Harcourts consultant regarding this.
shifting times with the purchaser of your old property and the previous
owner of your new one. Your Harcourts consultant will help co-ordinate
Notify your change of address to
- Credit card companies, i.e. visa, diners, fuel cards
- Post office for redirection of mail
- Registrar of electors (at Post Office)
- Registrar of motor vehicles & drivers license
- Tax department
- Insurance companies (house, contents, car, health etc)
- Hire purchase or finance company
- Investment companies
- Local council
- Shops where you may have charge cards
- Clubs and organisations
- Police (if you own and store firearms)
- Publications you subscribe to
- Who else sends me mail?
- Clean the stove
- Defrost the fridge/freezer
- Tidy the yard
- Ensure that the chattels that have been sold with the property aren’t accidentally packed
- Disconnect all appliances
- Disconnect the TV aerial
- Return any borrowed items
- Throw out items that you don’t intend taking with you (organise garage sales)
- List valuable items for special care when moving
- Advise removal company of dangerous goods being moved i.e. ammunition, petrol, spirits, chemicals
- Securely pack all jewellery, money, special documents and papers (i.e. legal, tax, insurance etc)
- Set aside items you will need on the day of the move so you can take them with you, e.g. food, drinks, cleaning products
each room leaving the boxes stacked and labelled with the room they are
to be moved to i.e. kitchen. It is a good idea to write on each box a
list of its general content
- Boxes containing breakables label ‘FRAGILE’ and identify these items to your removal people
- Pot and pack away plants and cuttings you are taking with you
- Explain your packing procedure to the removal people and be at your new home when they arrive
- Put breakables or liquid filled containers in drawers
- Overload drawers and make furniture too heavy to shift (too much weight can damage furniture)
- Move netting, barbed wire, timber, wood, coal etc, without special arrangements being made
- Store perishable goods where they might be overlooked
- See your solicitor to sign transfer documents/mortgage discharge documents
- Advise your children’s school that your children are leaving and the name of their new school so that files can be forwarded
- Enrol children in new school
Things to organise for new home
- Newspaper delivery
- Internet and cable connection
The week before moving
- Remind and confirm dates/times/locations for furniture removal company
- Confirm moving in/moving out details and key exchange with your Harcourts consultant
- Let children say goodbye to friends and neighbours
- Say goodbye yourself
Have one last check
- Nothing left behind?
- No clothes at dry cleaners?
- No gear stored away from your property?
- Electricity and gas turned off?
- Telephone disconnected?
- Water turned off and no taps left running?
- Light switches off?
- Windows and doors latched?
- Keys with solicitor? (if appropriate)
After the move
- Have spare keys cut
- Make an insurance claim, if any damage has occurred during the move
- Familiarise children with how to get to and from school
- Enjoy your new home
- Keep in touch with your Harcourts consultant. We’d love to hear how you are going.
If you would like to download a copy of this checklist please click here.